Sgt C.F.Babbage of No 602 Squadron bailed out to the South of Selsey Bill on the 26th of August 1940 at 16:45hrs. His Spitfire had been shot up by a Bf 109 of JG 53. He was unhurt.
Group Captain Douglas R.S.Bader CBE, DSO and bar, DFC and bar, Legion d'Honneur, Croix de Guerre, whose dazzling success as a fighter pilot with artificial legs made him a national hero, was a legend in his own lifetime for the courage and style with which he defied disablement. Bader  had an academic ability which won him a scholarship to St Edward's School and a cadet ship at the elite RAF College, Cranwell. Douglas Bader joined No 23 Squadron at Kenley in July 1930 to fly Gamecocks. Asked to give an aerobatic demonstration in a Bulldog by pilots at a flying club, he declined; whereupon someone made a comment he could not ignore and took-off. Unfortunately the Bulldog's wingtip touched the ground during a low pass and it crashed. Bader lost both legs and was invalided out of the RAF. When war came his perseverance got him accepted back into the RAF for flying duties in Spitfire I's in No 19 Squadron at Duxford. 

 In June 1940, Bader was given command of No 242 Squadron. A Canadian unit, the only one in the RAF at the time, No 242 had been badly mauled in France, and its morale was low. Bader quickly transformed No 242 into a tight, tough squadron by his courage, leadership and uncompromising attitude toward his pilots, ground crews and the RAF high command, with whom he soon had a major brush. After taking charge of No 242, Bader soon discovered that the unit did not have the spare parts or tools to keep its 18 Hurricane fighters operational. After trying to sort out the problem through official channels, Bader signaled 12th Group Headquarters: "242 Squadron operational as regards pilots but non-operational as regards equipment." And he refused to announce his squadron as operational until its lack of tools and spares was rectified. It took a direct meeting between Squadron Leader Bader and Fighter Command's commander Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, to correct the mess. Within 24 hours, No 242 Squadron had all the tools and spares it needed, and Bader signaled 12th Group: "242 Squadron now fully operational." 
     Early in 1941 he commanded the first Tangmere Wing and his tactics then were carried on by Fighter Command for some years. On 11th of August he baled out of his Spitfire, leaving his  'tin' right leg in the Spitfire, and became a prisoner of war for 3½ years, ending it in Colditz Castle after two attempted escapes. He retired from the RAF in July 1946 and rejoined Shell Oil, later being knighted. 
     During only 15 months operations his official score was 22½ enemy aircraft destroyed, although his personal tally was 30! His courage and determination in war and his work for the handicapped in peace inspired others until he passed away in 1983.

S/L J.V.C. Badger  (Commanding Officer) joined No 43 Squadron on the 10th of  June 1940, He took over command on the 9th of  July when the CO was wounded. S/L J.V.C. Badger scored  6 kills between the 14th  and 30th of August 1940. He was shot down in his HurricaneI (V6548), and seriously wounded on the 30th of August 1940  by a Bf 109 South of Woodchurch, Kent at 17:35hrs.Badger was awarded the D.F.C. on the 6th of September 1940. 
      S/L J.V.C.Badger died of his wounds on the 30th of June 1941, aged 29.
P/O J.C.L.D.Bailey of No 46 Squadron was shot down and killed on the 2nd of September 1940. He was was shot down over the Thames Estuary by a Bf 109 at 17:30hrs. His Hurricane I (P3067) crashed near to Biggin Hill.
P/O P.A.Baillon of No 609 Squadron bailed out of his Spitfire I (P9503) safely on the 27th of October 1940 after combat over Andover at 11:50hrs. P.A.Baillon was K.I.A. on the 28th of November 1940 when he was shot down by a Bf 109 off the Isle of Wight. P.A.Baillon is buried at Bayeux, France. He was 26.
P/O G.H.Baird was with No 248 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. On the 20th of October 1940 he was on a recce sortie off the Norwegian coast flying in Blenheim IVf (P6952) when he was shot down and made a P.O.W. Also in the crew were D.L.Burton, R.Copcutt and S.V.Wood.
Sgt A.C.Baker joined No 610 Squadron on the 27th of  July 1940. Baker destroyed  two Bf 109's on the 24th and one on the 29th of August 1940. 
      Sgt A.C.Baker was awarded the D.F.C. on the 4th of December 1942.
Sgt B.Baker of No 264 Squadron was flying as a gunner in Defiant's during the early part of the Battle. He was shot down on the 26th of August 1940 off Herne Bay at 12:30hrs. His Defiant I (L6985) crashed into the sea and he perished in the crash. His pilot F/L A.J.Banham escaped the crash.
P/O Clive C.M.Baker flew with No 23 Squadron in Blenheim doing night interceptions.
Sgt E.D.Baker of No 145 Squadron was on patrol in his Hurricane I (P2957) on the 8th of August 1940. He was believed to have been shot down by F.W. Müller of I Gruppe of JG 27 off the Isle of White at 09:15hrs.  Sgt E.D.Baker was posted M.I.A., aged 28.
Sgt R.D.Baker of No 56 Squadron was a regular, and on 13th of July 1940 he shot down a Ju 87 but then made a force landing due to combat damage to his own aircraft. On the 11th of August 1940,at 13:00hrs, he was shot down while on a convoy patrol in his Hurricane I (N2667). He baled out of his aircraft but was dead when picked up. He was 23.
F/L A.J.Banham was with No 264 Squadron flying Defiant's during the early part of the Battle. He was shot down on the 26th of August 1940 off Herne Bay at 12:30hrs. He crashed his Defiant I (L6985) into the sea and escaped injury. His gunner Sgt B.Baker was not so lucky he perished in the crash. 
      F/Lt. A.John Banham was the promoted to Squadron Leader and took over command of No 229 Squadron  from the 7th of September 1940. On the 15th of October 1940 he baled out of his Hurricane I (P3124) wounded with burns after being shot down by a Bf 109 over Kent at 10:00hrs. His aircraft crashed near Stockbury, Kent.
Sgt E.S.Bann of No 238 Squadron was killed on the 28th of September 1940 at15:00hrs. He baled out of his Hurricane I (V6776) near Fareham after a dogfight but his parachute failed to open.
Sgt F.J.Barker and his Pilot Sgt E.R.Thorn of No 264 Squadron shot down 3 Bf 109's and a Bf 110 on the 28th of May 1940. On May the 29th they shot down 2 Ju 87's and a He 111 on the 31st. They were both promoted to Flight Sergeant and awarded the D.F.M. for their actions. On the 24th of August 1940 they shot down a Ju 88. They were both injured on the 26th of August 1940 after shooting down 2 Do 17's  and a Bf 109 that was attacking them, they crash landed the battle damaged Defiant I (L7005) near Chislet at 12:10hrs. He survived the war.
Sgt G.L.Barker of No 600 Squadron flying in Blenheim's was awarded the D.F.M. on the 13th of September 1940. Barker was killed on the 18th of July 1944, aged 30.
Sgt J.K.Barker of No 152 Squadron was killed on the 4th of September 1940 at 13:40hrs. His Spitfire I was shot down by a Dornier Do 17 off Bognor Regis. He baled out but he was not rescued and hi body was washed up on the French Coast. He is buried at Etaples, France, he was 22 years old.
Sgt Eric C.Barnard from No 600 Squadron was the gunner on P/O H.B.O.Hough's Blenheim which ran out of fuel on a night patrol on the 8th of September 1940. The entire crew baled out safely.
F/O John G.C.Barnes was a night fighter pilot in Blenheim's with No 600 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. He attained the rank of Wing Commander. 
P/O R.V.Baron of No 219 Squadron was killed when he baled out of his Blenheim after engine problems and his parachute failed to open on the 12th of October 1940. His crew member (G.M.Mean) was luckier and survived.
F/Lt P.H.Barron from No 609 Squadron on convoy patrol flying his Spitfire (L1069) off Portland Bill and was shot down by a Bf 109 of JG 27 at 18:10hrs, on the 11th of July 1940.
F/Lt P.H.Barron baled out with wounds and burns but he died later.
F/O N.J.M.Barry a South African of No 501 Squadron was killed when his Hurricane I (V6800) was shot down on the 7th of October 1940 at 10:40hrs over Wrotham in Kent.
P/O A.R.H.Barton was an experienced pilot with both the RAF and F.A.A. before the war, he joined No 32 Squadron on the 5th of August 1940. On the 11th of August he shot down a Bf 109, but was himself shot down the 12th of August, he crashed his Hurricane I ( N2596) near Hawkinge an escaped unscathed. On the 14th of August, he force-landed at Hawkinge after another combat with Bf 109's. He was posted to No 253 Squadron on the 10th of September, and on the 15th of September was involved in a battle with a Do 215, once again force-landing at Hawkinge. On the 20th of September he was shot down again in a Hurricane I (R2686) by a Bf 109 over Kent at 11:30hrs, but this time he was severely wounded and did not return to operations until February 1941.

 He was awarded the D.F.C. on the 10th of April 1942, credited with five kills during the Battle of Britain. He was awarded the Bar to the D.F.C. on the 7th of July 1942 for destroying a five enemy aircraft while in Malta. A.R.H.Barton was killed in a flying accident while an instructor on the 4th of April 1943, aged 29.

F/Lt R.A.Barton a Canadian of No 249 Squadron was wounded on the 5th of September 1940 at 15:30hrs. He was shot down in his Hurricane I (V6625) over Shell Haven, Essex by a Bf 109.
F/Lt S.H.Batley of No 266 Squadron was injured while on patrol on the 16th of August 1940. He baled out of his Spitfire I (P9312) over Canterbury after combat with a Bf 109, at 12:45hrs.
Sgt S.Baxter of No 222 Squadron force landed at Eastchurch on the 30th of August 1940. His Spitfire I (P9325) was damaged during combat over Canterbury at 10:00hrs. S.Baxter was killed on the 14th of September 1940. He crash landed his Spitfire I (X4275) after combat with a Bf 109 over Rochford at 16:15hrs.
Sgt E.A.Bayley was credited with a Do 17 on July the 3rd while with No 32 Squadron, and on the 18th of August shot down a Dornier Do 215. E.A.Bayley was posted to No 249 Squadron in September, he was killed on the 10th of October 1940, at 15:45hrs, when his Hurricane I (V7537) crashed due to oxygen failure while on a routine patrol ,he was aged 29.
F/Lt A.W.A.Bayne of No 17 Squadron was shot down on the 25th of August 1940 in combat with a Bf 110 and Bf 109's . He baled out of his Hurricane I (V7407) safely off Portland at 17:50hrs. He also flew Spitfires with No 54 Squadron later in the Battle.
F/Lt James Michael Bazin flew with No 607 Squadrons in Hurricane I's in France and during the Battle of Britain. He destroyed 2 He 111's in France an 9 in the Battle of Britain and was awarded the D.F.C. After the Battle of Britain he transferred to bombers, became a Wing Commander and received the D.S.O.
F/L S.H.Bazley from No 266 Squadron was a former A.A.F. pilot. Bazley shot down a Bf 110 on the 12th of August 1940. On the 16th of August he was shot down by a Bf 109 and baled out of his Spitfire 1 (P9312) after combat over Canterbury, at 12:45hrs. He suffered burns and minor injuries. 
      F/L S.H.Bazley was killed in a flying accident on the 2nd of March 1941, aged 27.