|No 72 Squadron was formed on the 2nd of July 1917
at Upavon and was disbanded on the 22nd of September 1919. The Squadron
was re-formed from a flight of No 1 Squadron
at Tangmere on the 22nd of February 1937 in Gloster
Gladiators. Its permanent base became Church Fenton. It was in the
April of 1939 when they received their first Supermarine
They operated from Acklington Satellite Station. They were moved to Biggin Hill on the 31st of August 1940. They were operational from Croydon after the 1st of September 1940.