No 266 Spitfire Squadron

Squadron Leader R. L. Wilkinson

Squadron Leader P.G.Jameson

No 266 Squadron was reformed at Sutton Bridge on the 30th of October 1939, just after the war began.To begin with it was a Fairy Battle Squadron but in January 1940 it began to receive Spitfire's. No 266 became the RAF's second Spitfire Squadron after No 19 Squadron. No 266 was based at Wittering up until the 8th of August, it then moved briefly to Tangmere on the 9th it then moved to Eastchurch temporarily on the 12th to defend against possible anti-shipping operations. On the 13th Eastchurch was bombed and severely damaged, six aircraft being destroyed on the ground. On the 14th No 266 Squadron returned to Hornchurch for a week before returning to Wittering.
One Spitfire that served with 266 from early September was serial P7350, a Mark II. This aircraft still flies today as one third of the Battle of Britain Commemorative flight.

J.W.Allen D.L.Armitage D.G.Ashton
R.G.V.Barraclough S.H.Batley S.H.Bazley
M.A.Beatty E.R.Bitmead N.G.Bowen
F.W.Cale H.H.Chalder T.A.Cooper
T.D.H.Davy A.W.Eade H.L.Greenshields
R.H.Gretton S.A.Goodwin R.C.Goslinc
F.B.Hawley H.M.T.Heron M.R.Hill
A.H.Humphrey P.G.Jameson W.R.Jones
D.E.Kingaby C.Logan M.W.Mermagen
Middleton P.H.G.Mitchell J.G.Pattison
H.A.R.Prowse R.J.B.Roach J.F.Soden
D.G.H.Spencer E.H.Thomas R.M.Trousdale
B.E.Tucker E.P.Wells R.L.Wilkinson

Home Contents Men Machines