Squadron Leader Rupert Leigh
|No 66 Squadron was formed on the 24th of July 1916
at Filton and was disbanded on the 25th of October 1919. On the 20th of
July 1936 'C' flight of No 19 Squadron became No
66 Squadron and was expanded to full strength flying Gloster Gauntlets.
In the August of 1938 they recieved their first Supermarine
Spitfire (K9790) but the did not start re-equiping until the October.
When the war broke out they were fully operational flying from Duxford.
They flew air cover patrols over Dunkirk.
They moved to Kenley on the 3rd of September 1940, then moved to Gravesend from the 11th of September 1940.